Student Information Centre (SiT)
Residence Permit Renewal
Department of Academic Affairs
An application for renewal must be submitted at least one month before the current permit expires. The application must be submitted to the police station in the district where you live.
Residence permit application/Application Portal Norway
The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) has implemented an internet-based system where your residence permit application can be started. This system is called Application Portal Norway. Once your application has been registered on the portal, a list of supporting documents which must be delivered to the police station appears in one of the final screens. It is recommended to print this screen and use it as a reference for what to bring with you to the police station. The application is not considered complete until all supporting documents are submitted to the police station.
To use the application portal visit:https://selfservice.udi.no/
The following information is required when registering your application on the internet:
Photo: Knut Werner Alsén
Organization number for UMB: 969159570
E-mail address for the university: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The police station in Ski is called "Follo politistasjon" on the drop down menu.
* It is not necessary to list a "reference person". If you do this, it can cause delays in processing.
Completing the on-line registration
- Pay the processing fee (NOK 2 500 as of 01.01.12)
- Book an appointment timeRequired Documentation
The following documentation should be submitted when applying for a renewal:
- Study progression report. Send an email request to email@example.com
or stop by the office.
- Documentation of subsistence, which is currently at NOK 94 400 per year. For a renewal, you must provide confirmation of funds in your Norwegian bank account (bank statement) on the first of every month, for the past six months. It is also possible to provide confirmation of your scholarship award or employment contract as proof of subsistence.
- Documentation of housing or room reservation confirmation from your landlord.
- If you are going on field work, the duration needs to be stated. The immigration authorities do not grant a permit for the period of the field work if it has a duration of more than six months. The permit will in that case be valid until your departure. You will need to submit a new application (as soon as possible from abroad) when you are to return to Norway in order to complete your studies. It is also possible to request that your visa be delivered to a Norwegian Embassy abroad where you can pick it up prior to your return to Norway. Your request should be clearly written on your renewal application and discussed with the official receiving your application. Doctoral students:
Study progression report can be obtained from SiT. However, only your supervisor, who is aware of your educational activities, can sign and stamp the form. This may require some additional processing time. Residence card (Oppholdskort)
In May 2012, residence permits will no longer be affixed to your passport. You will receive a residence permit card with your biometric information. There is no additional cost for the card, but there is a replacement fee for lost cards. All lost cards must be immediately reported to the local police station.
Updated: 16.04.13Printerfriendly version
Del med en venn: